Friday, December 17, 2010

Good News!!!

Well, I am just about finished compiling my research.  Other than the VA Pension records it is all in.  Turns out that Vickers was far more complex than I first thought-soldier, diplomat (with some renown), and businessman (both in Chile and in Idaho).  He blew at numerous inheritances and was married twice-at the same time, it turns out! His last years were quite rough as he was bedridden with heart and liver disease.

His rather bizarre actions for the rest of his life after the war are quite interesting.  The key question is how much did his time as a POW during the Civil War impact his post-war behavior?  I have yet to determine that to my satisfaction.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I can sort that all out.  I have almost none of his writings and no letters of his.  Quite a bit different that Robinett as his letters were a window into his soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment