Monday, May 11, 2009

I have plan!

On the 22nd and 23rd of May I will be in New Orleans to visit Jackson Barracks and Robinett’s gravesite. I am looking forward to meeting LTC Tommy Ryan, the LA National Guard historian. On the 24th I will be in Vicksburg to check out where HCR’s battery was positioned and his role in the siege. On the 25th I will be in Corinth for the same purpose. Corinth is obviously the pivotal engagement for Harry for better or worse.

I have been trying to sort and arrange his letters from the University of the Pacific. In one he states:

“I went personally to the Secretary of War and obtained my appointment. I could, I suppose as well have gotten a 1st Lieutenant as a 2nd but I preferred the later in consideration of age etc, etc.”

Interesting, how did he manage to get in to see Secretary of War Stanton?

It is very hard to read some of the letters as they have been taped together or torn. Such your life in primary sources.

Here is an interesting one. When he was attending DMA they were required to write to their fathers and detail their progress. Note Colonel Hyatt’s comment at the bottom. Harry would have been about 16-17 at the time.

Wilmington Dec. 23, 1857
Dear Father,
As it was the request of our much beloved Teacher, I will state the studies which I have been pursuing through this last Quarter, my success in them, also my general conduct during the Quarter. My studies have been (1) Latin (2) Chemistry (3) Algebra (4) Composition (5) Penmanship (6) English Grammar. I think as far as I am able to judge that I have succeeded very well in Latin, also in Chemistry. I have improved in Algebra, I have improved very much in Composition; in my writing I have made a great improvement. I have done well in Grammar. In my general conduct and deportment,
I believe I have been perfect and conducted myself properly towards my Teacher. This I believe to be a correct statement.
Your Affectionate Son
Henry Clay Robinette

The above is a correct statement, your son has not received a single mark this quarter, he is very gentlemanly in his conduct and most faithful in his studies.
Theo Hyatt

Keep History Alive
bs

No comments:

Post a Comment