Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Captain Leslie Smith


Wrote a letter to HCR’s father on May 9, 1868

"….The Major (HCR) was one of my most intimate acquaintances from the time I first met him in November of 1863 in fact I preferred his society to that of any other of my fellow officers on account of his good moral qualities such as very few young men of his age and standing in the service possess. It is therefore with painfull(sic) feelings of sorrow that I inform you that I deeply sympathize with you for the loss of a good kind and affectionate son and with his brother officers for the loss of an honest ----- courteous and gallant gentleman and officer.”

“I assume you have heard all about his sad sad end long before this. I deem it but justice to his momory to inform you that there is no doubt about his not being responsible for what he done at the time. I had noticed him for some time previous as being very much changed at times would act very singular indeed and seemed to be indifferent to what was transpiring around him."

"It should be some consolation to you in your great bereavement to know that everything was done that you could have desired and the ladies of this post tired vied with each other in decorating his remains to such an extent that his coffin was litterally(sic) covered with white roses. Poor fellow, when I took my last look at him as his remains were about being carried off he looked as if he was asleep, with a sweet smile playing over his features. I hope his soul is now where we all hope to go in a short time and where trouble and sorrow are not known."

"Believe me my dear sir when I again inform you that we all deeply sympathize with his family in their great affliction."

And I remain,
Yours Truly,
Leslie Smith
Capt 1st Infantry

No comments:

Post a Comment