Thursday, April 16, 2009

Here we go Again

Tonight I am reading the transcript of CAPT [Brevet Major thanks to Senator Hall] Robinett’s THIRD court martial [I don’t have the transcript of the first one yet]. This time he is accused of being intoxicated (again) in a theatre in New Orleans. He is found guilty and, once again, dismissed from the service.
Major General Philip A. Sheridan, then in command of the Gulf District, refuses to overturn the court’s decision based upon his previous court martial.

Sheridan forwards the transcript to the Secretary of War who passed it on to President Andrew Johnson.




Guess how this one turns out? I am beginning to believe that Harry might have what we today call PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) or he simply has a REAL alcohol problem.

Keep History Alive
bs

2 comments:

  1. I'm a Civil War buff, so I've actually heard of Henry Clay Robinette. He's a shadowy figure in the many ACW histories I've read, the bare bones of his service and tragic end mentioned almost in passing, so I'm fascinated by the information on him you've shared here. The Confederate gentlement, Mr. Lincoln, is entirely unknown to me. I look forward to learning about him as your research progresses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome lilgadfly. Feel free to comment any time.

    ReplyDelete