Friday, March 6, 2009

Progress!

Well this week has been a busy one. Every evening I worked on developing a good solid bibliography. So far I have over 70 secondary sources and only 11 primary. Not good. I know some of my students are following this blog and are saying, “Wow, that sounds like plenty.” Well no, it is not. My rule of thumb is to collect as many sources as possible before drawing conclusions. For my students, especially the deployed soldiers, “as possible” is quite a bit different than my definition. So my search is not complete and won’t be for some time. As I move from source to source they will lead me to other sources and different directions.



The good news is that I had a wonderful conversation with Trish Richards at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, CA. from the Special Collection Department of the library. They hold the Robinette Family Papers (what there is of them).
Henry’s brother Theodore who ended up in San Francisco as a ship captain after the war. The collection contains numerous photographs, letters, and other documents that pertain to Henry including a “Civil War Scrapbook” and some letters written by Henry during the war. She is going to copy them and send them to me. That will save me a trip to Cali which I can spend on other trips and resources. Students take note: research like this costs money. If I went there obviously hundreds of dollars. I will be sending them money for the duplicating costs and shipping when it is all said and done.More good news. I also talked to Michele Christian at Iowa State University, Special Collection Department where they hold the papers of James R. Lincoln. We had another wonderful conversation. It is always nice to talk to people interested in your work. Lincoln ended up in Iowa a few years after the Civil War. They have SOME of his papers including his Civil War military service records. She too is making copies and sending me what they have.

It is my hope that these papers will lead me to others as my work progresses. What’s in store of the rest of this Month? Beginning my initial research. That means putting my hands on some of the sources I have identified as possibly helpful. I am going to begin with the issue of loyalty during the 19th century. I know good bit about this already but it is time to document my knowledge and gain more.

One of my students asked what technique I use to actually collect the information I need. Most of the “kids” now a day seem to simply copy the material and then highlight what they need or type it into their computer. I am old school and will stay with what I do because it is the method whit which I am most comfortable. I use note cards. In the “old days” I had two sets: notes and bibliography cards. This time as I actually use a source I will transfer it from my working to actual bibliography. I will include a code for the title so I can tell where the notes came from. The notes cards will have only ONE main idea. My goal is not to fill the card but rather take notes that can be arranged and rearranged as I actually prepare to write. Each card will include the code for the course and the page number. That way if I find the need I can footnote the sources. So, as my cards grow I will begin to divide them into categories for the writing process. The order does not matter, that will come later. Does that make sense? I hope so. If you have another method and would like to share feel free to comment. If you wish to suggest any sources also feel free.

Keep History Alive.
bs

1 comment:

  1. I love that you still use note cards Coach! I very clearly remember using them for my senior thesis paper in high school. With hundreds of cards at my disposal by the time I put pen to paper (okay...so it was on a typewriter) the paper virtually wrote itself.

    ReplyDelete