Monday, March 16, 2009

University of the Pacific

Trish sent me all they had in their collection in reference to Robinette. Great stuff. I JANUS we use a company called Word Pro out of ATL to transcribe the interviews we conduct. I am sending them the letters tomorrow so they can do the heavy lifting for me. It will save me a lot time trying to read them. Usually HCR had great penmanship, I would give him a 100. But he must have run out of paper at one point and wrote on both sides and the paper bled through. It will take them some time to get through that one.

What have I learned so far? I can now pinpoint some of Robinette’s movements during and just after the war:


St. Joseph, MO, 24th OCT 1861
(picture from mocivlwar.org)


Corinth, MS October, 1862
(picture from harpers Weekly-sonofthesouth.net)


Milliken’s Bend, LA 12 APR 1863
(picture from harpers Weekly-sonofthesouth.net) [Note HCR was there before the Battle of some noteriety]


Vicksburg July 1863
(sonofthesouth.net)



New Orleans, 2 DEC 1863 (web.britannica.com)


City Point, VA, 5 FEB 1864
(anselm.edu)

New Orleans, LA 30 DEC 1867

Jackson Barracks, LA 19 JAN 1867 April 22nd he will commit suicide here.
(civilwaralbum.com)
His letter of January 19th shows no signs of depression and indeed is very optimistic and uplifting. Leads to more questions, no?

I should be receiving Lincoln materials from Iowa State any day.

Things are moving right along.


Keep History Alive

bs

No comments:

Post a Comment